Monday, March 31, 2008

To my father: "I love U"


To my father: "I love U"

Siratan asal pada 21-November-2007,
(http://thejourney.weblog.uum.edu.my/)

Saya menerima email ini (To my father: "I love U") melalui “group mailing list” yang saya sertai. Kisahnya amat menyentuh hati saya terutama saya sendiri amat “membenci” ayah saya sendiri semasa saya kecil. Rujuk siratan
http://thejourney.weblog.uum.edu.my/, pada bulan Jun 2007 di bawah tajuk bersiri ”Ayah Yang Ku Benci”. Siri siratan ini terhenti kerana keadaan ayah saya sekarang ini agak uzur untuk saya menzahirkan “kebencian” saya itu.

Sebagai seorang ayah yang bergaji askar berpangkat rendah, dengan kesemua gaji bulanannya diserahkan kepada ibu saya (hanya beberapa ringgit diambil untuk belanja harian), saya merasa hampa setiap kali permintaan saya sukar dipenuhi oleh ayah saya ketika itu.

Alhamdulillah, Allah itu Maha Kuasa. Umurnya dipanjangkan ke hari ini untuk melihat saya melangkah ke Gedung Akademik setelah hampir 20 tahun bergelumang dalam industri, dari bermula karier sebagai seorang operator pengeluaran hinggalah ke jawatan akhir sebagai pengurus kilang, dari hanya pemegang SPM yang kemudiannya secara PPJJ mengambil masa selama 2 tahun matrikulasi di USM (sebab saya tiada STPM), PPJJ lagi 6 tahun di Fakulti Kejuruteraan Mekanikal USM (Tronoh dan Transkrian) dan seterusnya program Master di setiap hujung minggu di UKM.

Saya sedar ada titisan air mata yang mengalir apabila saya menyuakan skrol Ijazah Kejuruteraan Mekanikal saya kepada ayah saya semasa di konvo USM semasa saya berumur 35 tahun. ’”Saya minta maaf, Pak sebab gagal semasa di UM dulu!”, ucapan maaf yang pertama kali keluar dari mulut saya setelah gagal dari UM semasa usia 18 tahun.

Ketika itu baru saya sedar betapa bongkaknya saya yang tidak pernah meminta maaf di atas kegagalan saya 17 tahun lalu. Bukannya saya tidak tahu ayah saya ”mengadaikan” waran pencennya kepada Bengali Ceti semata-mata untuk membayar yuran kemasukan saya ke UM. Tetapi dia tidak pernah marah atau mengeluarkan kata-kata kesat kepada saya disebabkan kegagalan itu. Diamnya sudah cukup menjelaskan kemarahannya.

Semoga Allah memanjangkan umurnya dengan kesihatan yang baik untuk melihat diri ini di atas pentas konvo UKM dalam masa dua tahun ini, insya-Allah, untuk skrol PhD saya.

Good story to share with all of you......

This story is about a man who tells how his booking an air ticket for his father, his first flight, brought emotions and made him realize that how much we all take for granted when it comes to our parents.

"My parents left for our native place on Thursday and we went to the airport to see them off. In fact, my father had never traveled by air before, so I just took this opportunity to make him experience the same.

In spite of being asked to book tickets by train, I got them tickets on Lufthansa.The moment I handed over the tickets to him, he was surprised to see that I had booked them by air. The excitement was very apparent on his face, waiting for the time of travel. Just like a school boy, he was preparing himself on that day and we all went to the airport, right from using the trolley for his luggage, the baggage check-in and asking for window seat and waiting restlessly for the security check-in to happen. He was thoroughly enjoying himself and I, too, was overcome with joy watching him experience all these things.

As they were about to go in for the security check-in, he walked up to me with tears in his eyes and thanked me. He became very emotional and it was not as if I had done something great but the fact that this meant a great deal to him.

When he said thanks, I told him there was no need to thank me.

But later, thinking about the entire incident, I looked back at my life.

As a child how many dreams our parents have made come true. Without understanding the financial situation, we ask for football, dresses, toys, outings, etc. Irrespective of their affordability, they have satisfied to all our needs. Did we ever think about the sacrifices they had to make to accommodate many of our wishes?

Did we ever say thanks for all that they have done for us?

Same way, today when it comes to our children, we always think that we should put them in a good school.

Regardless of the amount of donation, we will ensure that we will have to give the child the best, theme parks, toys, etc. But we tend to forget that our parents have sacrificed a lot for our sake to see us happy, so it is our responsibility to ensure that their dreams are realized and what they failed to see when they were young, it is our responsibility to ensure that they experience all those and their life is complete.

Many times, when my parents had asked me some questions, I have actually answered back without patience. When my daughter asks me something, I have been very polite in answering. Now I realize how they would have felt at those moments.

Let us realize that old age is a second childhood and just as we take care of our children, the same attention and same care need to be given to our parents and elders.Rather than my dad saying thank you to me, I would want to say sorry for making him wait so long for this small dream. I do realize how much he has sacrificed for my sake and I will do my best to give the best possible attention to all their wishes. Just because they are old does not mean that they will have to give up everything and keep sacrificing for their grandchildren also. They have wishes, too."

Take care of our parents.

To my father: "I love U"


Berikut adalah satu respon email rakan sekerja yang diterima setelah saya mengirimkan email ini kepada “mailing list” rakan sekerja saya;

Dear Lukman,

I have enjoyed most of your postings. Sometimes it is not us that do not live up to our parents' dreams. For eg., if you are qualified for promotion but being blocked by some evil people, you just could not live up to your parents' dreams. However, I take solace that God knows and our parents know that we did not fail them.

I noticed that emails on Islam are ever so frequently sent to everyone, but do you think these evil people actually learn anything from them? I doubt it.
Like one of my good Muslim colleagues told me, "Syaitan pun boleh lafazkan ayat-ayat suci dari Koran. Harap orang yang begitu zalim akan dihampakan oleh semua anak-anaknya".

Thanks for sharing this story with us.

TYK

Nota: Email ini juga sebenarnya dituju kepada rakan-rakan sekerja yang menghantar email-email edaran tanpa mengenalpasti siapa bakal penerimanya. pastikan anda tahu siapa yang bakal menerima email edaran anda sebelum menekan butang 'hantar'.

lukmanw@gmail.com
http://orangkecilorangbesar.blogspot.com/

No comments: